Can't Find Information You're Looking for? If you don't find anything you're looking for at this website, please feel free to contact me [Email] and I'd be happy to point you to appropriate resources on the web or in print.
Keep Abreast of Latest Developments and Perspectives in the Field. This portal would be continually updated as new information becomes available. Please visit often to find what you need.
Share and Grow. Would you like to share something you're doing, or something you find relevant and useful? please feel free suggesting it to us and we'd be happy to consider putting it on.
Read my Blog. I write a regular blog on Technology and Economic Development Issues [TBED Journal]. You may find it relevant and useful. Feel free to post comments to let me know what you think.
Selected Resources on Cluster Initiatives:
What's New About Clusters:
- Professor Michael Porter was in Libya recently, delivering a competitiveness strategy to the North African State trying to come out of decades of economic isolation. (more on that later)
- IEDC's Tech-Led Conference is scheduled to take place May 21-23, 2006 in San Jose, CA.
Important Cluster Resources:
- Council on Competitiveness [click].
- Institute of Strategy and Competitiveness, HBS [click].
- The Competitiveness Institute [click].
- TBED Resource Center [click].
- Web Book of Regional Science [click].
Important Papers on Cluster Theory:
The following are a combination of more practitioner-oriented (especially those by Michael Porter) and the more economist-oriented theory papers. Osama and Rosenthal are good reviews of the theoretical literature. Feldman is a good review of emerging empirical evidence. Maskell and Malmberg highlight controversies in cluster theory.
- Competitive Advantage of Nations, Michael E. Porter. [click].
- What Do We Know About Economic Clusters: A Critical Review of Theory, Evidence, and Practice, Osama and Popper (forthcoming). [Available from author. Email me for a copy].
- Knowledge Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation, Audtretsch and Feldman. [click].
- The New Economics of Innovation, Spillovers and Agglomeration, Feldman. [click].
- Old and new theories of industry clusters, Edward Feser. [Available from author. Email me for a copy].
- (How) Do (Firms in) Clusters Create Knowledge?, Malmberg and Power. [click].
- Next to Production or to Technological Clusters? Miriani. [click].
- What Qualifies as a Cluster Theory? Maskell and Kebir. [click].
- Geographically Localized Knowledge: Spillovers or Markets? Zucker, Darby, and Armstrong. [click].
- Location, Competition, and Economic Development: Local Clusters in Global Economy, Michael E. Porter. [Available from author. Email me for a copy].
- Clusters and Competition: New Agendas for Companies, Governments and Institutions, Michael E. Porter. [click].
- The Micro-Empirics of Agglomeration Economies, Stuart Rosenthal. [click].
Examples of Cluster Strategies:
- Survey of the Characterization of Regional Clusters: Initial Results, Michael Enright. [click].
- The Demography of Clusters: First Findings from Clusters Meta Study, Claas van der Linde. [click].
On Cluster Policies:
- The Cluster Initiatives Greenbook, Solvell, Lindquist, and Ketels. [click].
- Regional Economic Development: Exploring the ‘Role of Government’ in Porter’s Industrial Cluster Theory, Mark Wickham. [click].
- The Cluster Policies Whitebook, Andersson, Sorvik, and Hansson. [click].
- The Evaluation of Regional Innovation and Cluster Policies: Looking for New Approaches, Angeles-Diez and Esteban. [click].
- Developing Cluster Policies in Seven European Regions, Philip Raines. [click].
Cluster Practitioner Manuals:
- Planning For Clusters, UK Department of Environment, Transport and Regions (DETR). [click].
- A Practical Guide to Cluster Development, UK Department of Trade and Industry (DTI). [click].
- Cluster-Based Economic Development: A Key To Regional Competitiveness, Economic Development Administration (EDA). [click].
- A Governors’ Guide to Cluster-based Economic Development, National Governors' Association (NGA). [click].
Detailed Bibliographies on Economic Clusters:
- Theoretical & Empirical Evidence on Clusters, Compiled by: Athar Osama. [click].
- Economic Clusters in Practice and Policy. Compiled by: Athar Osama. [click].
Major International Cluster Initiatives:
Malaysia -- Malaysia Multi-Media Super Corridor. [click].
Jordan -- The Jordan National Competitiveness Team. [click].
Major Cluster Initiatives in US States:
In alphabetical order:
Arizona: Governor's Initiative [GSPED]. Public Agency[AZ Commerce]. Public-Private[AZ Tech. Council]. Studies [ICDP].
California: Public-Agency [California Strategy Panel]. Studies [Regional Economies Project].
Connecticut: Public-Agency [DCED]. Studies [Progress Reports].
Ohio: Legislation [SB 236]. Public-Agency [Ohio Third Frontier Project]. Public-Private [Nortech]. Studies [NE Ohio's TBED Strategy].
Oregon: OR Cluster Strategy [Strategy PPT]. Public-Agency [Oregon DECD]. Public-Private [OR Clusters]. [OR Business Council]. Studies [Statistical Study].
Rhode Island: Cluster Strategy [Innovation @ Scale]. Public-Agency [RIEDC]. Public Private [BIF].
Texas: Governor's Initiative [Industry Cluster Initiative]. Public-Agency [Workforce Commission]. Studies [Assessments & Reports].
Utah: Public-Agency [OED]. Studies & Reports [Blog].
Wisconsin: Cluster Strategy [WI Clusters]. Public-Agency [Dept. of Commerce].
Selected Consulting Companies Providing Cluster Advice (alphabetical order):
Angelou Economics [click], ANGLE Technology Group [click], Battelle - Technology and Policy Practice [click], Collaborative Economics [click], Competitiveness Institute [click], Development Alternatives Inc. [click], Economic and Planning Systems [click], Economy.com [click], Economic Development Research Group [click], Economic Modeling Specialists [click], Economic Strategy Institute [click], ICF Consulting [click], KMK Consulting [click], Monitor Group [click], New Economy Strategies [click], Northstar Economics [click], Research Triangle Institute [click], Regional Technology Strategies [click], SRI International - CSTED [click].
Last Updated: May 16, 2006